To apply for an Optimist Scholarship, review these guidelines carefully:
The Optimist Club Foundation of Sanibel Captiva, Inc. Scholarship Guidelines
- Application must be filled out completely and submitted to the Club Scholarship Committee at:
Optimist Club of Sanibel Captiva
Attn: Scholarship Committee
P.O. Box 1370
Sanibel, FL 33957
(Include copies of your high school grades history and provide the scores for your SAT/ACT. We encourage letters of recommendation.)
- The initial scholarship will be awarded to a graduating senior attending a Lee County High School who has maintained at least a “C” average and will be attending college on full-time basis. Scholarship may be awarded for any semester requested by applicant within a school year but only one scholarship per academic year. A maximum of four scholarships will be awarded to any one individual.
- The scholarship will be awarded to the University or College in the name of the recipient to be utilized for tuition and/or necessary supplies. In no instance will the scholarship be awarded directly to the recipient.
- Once awarded the scholarship, the recipients must complete the semester(s) in which they are utilizing the scholarship; if they do not complete the semester, the funds must be returned to the Sanibel Captiva Optimist Club Foundation, Inc.
- Recipient must have maintained a “C” average or better for the previously completed school semester in order to qualify for continued scholarship approval. A transcript showing at least a “C” average must be provided to the Sanibel Captiva Optimist Club by August 1st and when the transcript is received to recipient will automatically be awarded a scholarship, if requested. Should the average drop below a “C”, recipient will not be eligible for a scholarship award that year. Upon improving their average back to “C” or above, the student may reapply. Also if a full academic year passes without a scholarship request, the recipient must reapply for a scholarship.
- Applicants and their parents/guardians must sign the application to indicate that they have a full understanding of the scholarship guidelines before the scholarship will be awarded.
- The selection committee will choose the recipients of the scholarship. The selection committee ideally, but not mandatory, will include a member from the Lee County School District and will solicit input from the applicant’s high school.